Wednesday, January 12, 2022

In the Waves of Tristwick


I could almost smell the sea and feel the ocean breeze upon my face as I began reading this book set in a small fishing village of Cornwall. With the dramatic opening scene of Moroven Hollow nearly drowning from being entangled in the net of Trevik Honeysett’s crew, I was caught (pun untended) up in this story. 

The enemies-to-lovers trope was well written as both Moroven and Trevik work through mistrust, superstition, secrets, and heartbreak. Trevik was more than just a fisherman, showing Moroven that forgiveness and love were possible. I loved that he was able to thwart her greedy and horrible uncle. 

The secondary characters of Mrs. Honeysett and Poppy added depth to the story. I loved how Mrs. Honeysett took Moroven into her home and accepted her as one of her own from the beginning.  I hoped things would work out for Moroven just so she could stay with her and Trevik's chatty, bubbly sister, Poppy. It was great to see how Mrs. Honeysett helped Trevik with the plan to gain Moroven’s freedom.

The stories of the mermaids as well as the songs the villagers and fisherman sang added to feeling a part of the story. I could hear the men singing songs and Moroven joining in with them as the sat around the campfire.  I have never read a story set in Cornwall that went into such detail about a fisherman’s life like Ms. Hathaway did with her book. I was so happy to read her notes about her research and facts she included in the book.  She even wrote some of the lyrics to the songs that were sung! This added depth to the story and even more admiration for her talent as a writer. 

This is book 4 in A Cornish Romance series, but it can be read as a standalone. I haven't read the other books, but I certainly will be!  I was given a complimentary copy of the book. I was not required to write a positive review; all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Night Falls on Predicament Avenue

About the Book:  In 1901, Effie James is living a dream for two. Her younger sister is harboring a secret that has left timid Effie determin...