Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Songs in the Night



Parson Preston Clay made some bad decisions when he was young. Even though he has changed, the past caught up with him. Beautiful and former business associate, Poppy Scarlatti, arrives in the small town of Wydlhaven expecting Preston to help her. No matter what she has devised is illegal, she wants his expertise and will stop at nothing to get him to take part in her plans of stealing the town’s money. 

Preston’s faith and resolve are tested as he must stand up to Poppy and at the same time protect Aurora McClure, the woman who has come to mean so much to him. Watching him continue to stand fast in his convictions and share his past with the townsfolk took a great deal of courage and was what I admired most about him. Poppy’s deception and greed made this an interesting story and I was glad to see what happens to all of her scheming. 

I enjoyed seeing Preston and Aurora’s relationship grow throughout the book. There were additional subplots of other couples that I think will be fun to see what develops in additional installments. While this can be read as a stand alone, I found there were several details that I missed since I have not read all of the other books in the series. I am interested in reading the backstory of Aurora and others mentioned. 

One detail that Ms. Bonner shares at the end of the story was how she arrived at the title for her book. I loved the part of the book where Aurora found her courage and believed God would see her through the frightening experience in which she was placed. A video link to the hymn, How Can I keep from Singing is provided and I thoroughly enjoyed watching and listening to it.  

I recommend you read this interesting, uplifting and faith-building book. Thank you to the author for an advanced copy of the book. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions expressed are my own. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Night Falls on Predicament Avenue

About the Book:  In 1901, Effie James is living a dream for two. Her younger sister is harboring a secret that has left timid Effie determin...