Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Murder Most Fair



In this, the fifth book of the Verity Kent series, I saw the devastation that the War to End All Wars caused within Verity’s family. Bravo to her as she finds the courage to finally face the grief of losing her brother and her many friends in the war. Within this story, Verity realizes she can’t move on with her life until she finally makes peace with the horrible loss of her beloved brother. I admire her because she strives to ask forgiveness and  build relationships with her mother and sister, even when it would be easier to walk away. 

Verity’s name means truth and it suits her well because  there is a murder of a young German woman, Fraulein Bauer. She is determined to find out who committed such a horrible act, even if it means losing friendships with those she grew up with and be seen in a derogatory light. Verity is strong, resilient, and sees that justice is served, no matter who is the victim or the perpetrator. Verity would be someone that I would love to have help me if I ever needed it. 

I enjoyed the mystery of the story as it was well written, with several characters who having motives to kill a young German woman so shortly after the war ended. I was engaged throughout the story, trying to solve Fraulein Bauer's murder before Verity and her husband Sidney did. 

There were several references to past characters and events, so in order to have a richer reading experience and knowledge of characters mentioned, I would begin with the first book in the series, This Side of Murder.  

Thank you to NetGalley and Kensington Publishing for an arc of the book. I voluntarily read and reviewed the book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Better Man

About the Book: A woman bound by duty and debt.  A man who doubts his worth. After tragedy broke her family, Laramee fled her family’s once ...