Friday, March 26, 2021

Beyond Justice



This was my first foray into a legal suspense book and it certainly won’t be my last.  Cara Putman masterfully creates a story that kept me totally engaged in the events that were unfolding. Given just enough details to keep me guessing and provide suspense, I raced through this book. 

Lawyer Hayden McCarthy is assigned a nearly impossible wrongful death case of an illegal immigrant teen. We as the readers are given some details, but not enough to actually know what is truly happening. The twists and turns of this plot made me feel like I was on a n emotional roller coaster. One minute I was elated because I figured out some point and the next minute I was bewildered or tense as something new would happen. 

Andrew Wesley was just the man that Hayden could feel comfortable with and understood her passion and desire for justice. He, too, has this drive to see wrongs made right. Hayden and Andrew are a powerful and faith-filled couple who I greatly admired. When things got dangerous they both relied on God to help them through it. 

With Ms. Putman’s legal expertise I was able to see the court system in operation. I appreciated that she didn’t use legalese that would detract from the story, but seamlessly explained things as they were occurring.  This is the first in the Hidden Justice series. While it can be a stand alone, there are several of Hayden and Andrew’s friends that I hope to learn more about in future books. 

My thanks to the author for a copy of this book. I was not required to write a review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.  


About the Book:

Hayden McCarthy is on track to become the youngest partner in her prestigious D.C. law firm . . . if the case she's just been handed doesn't destroy her first.

Hayden McCarthy knows firsthand the pain when justice is not served. It's why she became an attorney and why she's so driven in her career. When she's assigned a wrongful death case against the government, she isn't sure if it's the lucky break she needs to secure a partnership—or an attempt to make sure she never gets there.

Further complicating matters is Andrew, her roommate’s distractingly attractive cousin. But Andrew’s father is a Congressman, and Hayden's currently taking on the government. Could the timing be any worse?

The longer she keeps the case active, the higher the stakes become. Unknown enemies seem determined to kill the case—or her. Logic and self-preservation would indicate she should close the case. But how can she, when justice is still just beyond her reach?


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Better Man

About the Book: A woman bound by duty and debt.  A man who doubts his worth. After tragedy broke her family, Laramee fled her family’s once ...